Sunday, February 1, 2015

Hand Carved Stamps

This is a project I've been putting aside for YEARS.
I'm not sure why I was so afraid of trying this
technique, but boy am I addicted now!
If you've never tried carving your own stamps,
I highly recommend jumping in!
 
My kit was purchased from Michaels,
and included everything you see in the first picture.
You don't have to use a kit to do this, though, as
most craft stores sell the pink rubber pad, tools,
& transfer paper as well.
 
1st STEP:
 
 
In this 1st step, you draw an image onto the transfer
paper included in the kit. Once your image is to your liking,
flip it onto the rubber pad & press lightly. Your image now
appears on the pad & is ready to carve!

2nd STEP:
 

 
If you've purchased the kit from Michaels, it includes 2 tool tips for carving.
Practice on a small corner of your pad to get the hang of the tools & WATCH
your fingers! It takes a little getting used to, but is so easy once you get the hang
of it! You can carve as much or as little as you please. I chose to carve the negative
space out of my image & accidentally cut off my owl's eye (oops!) No big deal,
just adds character to my stamped image!
 
When your image is complete, try a practice run on a scrap piece of paper to see
if anything else needs touching up. If not, you're all set to stamp!

 
FINISHED PRODUCT:
 

 
With my finished owl stamp, I created artist
trading cards (atc's) for a swap I was in on Instagram.
Enjoy!!

2 comments:

  1. I love love love these owls! And you are welcome to carve stamps for me any time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brenda!! These are so much fun to make & would make great swap items! (Hint, hint 😜)

      Delete